The Dutch Week that was...
We Painted the Country Orange
Festivities, activities, laughter and events
It all started at the Big Dutch Day Out, in Foxton,
daar bij die mooie Molen...
And we finished with Orange Bike Rides, all over the country - in 12 cities and towns.
We had great old-fashioned fun - op stelten en blikken. We ate plenty of poffertjes.
En er werd Nederlands gesproken (en gehakkeld... daar zijn we ook trots op!).
Great effort everybody... Let's do it all over again next year.
Even Bigger and Better! Met Meer Oranje!
2022 Dutch Week Announcement:
Festivities, activities and events
Sat 23 April to Sun 1 May – Throughout the country
All over Aotearoa, there will be events to celebrate all things Dutch: culture, heritage, language and food.
- Official opening of 'Dutch Week' at Foxton's Big Dutch Day Out - 300 vliegers de lucht in
- Three major cities feature a Dutch Film Festival
- Major landmarks across NZ light up orange at night
- Local clubs and communities organise their own Koningsdag events - including Orange Bike Rides or a Vrijmarkt
- Youngsters can join a national Speech Competition or a Klompenkunst Competition
- Te Awahou Nieuwe Stroom, Foxton -Exhibition: 'Ans Westra photographs: after Handboek'
Enjoy a touch of Dutch! Whether you're in one of the big cities, or the smaller towns.
Are you keen to hop on a bike? Check out the Orange Bike Rides.
Stimulate your young ones to learn or practice Nederlandse taal: National Speech Competition.
Or get together with other Dutchies one night, to immerse yourself in cultuur uit Nederland - sit back and watch a Dutch movie at the Dutch Film Festival.
Koningsdag - En nog veel meer! Door 't hele land...
Have some good old ‘Dutch Week’ fun. Check the side menu. See where to go! What to do!
Join the Official Opening
Ambassador Mira Woldberg will open Dutch Week at Foxton's Big Dutch Day Out. A flick of her hand will make 300 vliegers/kites go up in the air - joining a giant 7 metre orange monkey kite. Here's your Programme-BigDutchDayOut-2022.
De Molen has organised this fun event with food and festivities, for more than 10 years now. It celebrates all things Dutch - een echt Nederlands dagje uit! Join the 'Oud-Hollandse Spelen' or'Odd Old Dutch Games'!
It's mainly Kids Fun. But we'll encourage a special category of Adults as well... To play the fool...?
- Klompengooien - Clog Throwing
- Steltlopen - Stilt Walking
- Zaklopen - Sack Jumping
There will be plenty of yummy foods and treats, and art to admire.
There's the Oranjehof national museum to visit. Get lost in time, gazing at Ans Westra photos. Or listen to music the way it used to be - with 1880 Amsterdams draaiorgel 'De Lieve Stem'.
Typical Dutch delights
- Klompenkunst - National Clog Art Competition
- Oud-Hollandse Spelen - Odd Old Dutch Games / 'Castle' games
- Kite or vliegers workshop - For some 300 kids
- Draaiorgel De Lieve stem (1880 street organ)
- Tours of windmill De Molen (blades spinning)
- Yummy Dutch treats - Montfoort lekkers (sweets) and Garuda Indonesisch
- Add 'Your Name' to a 50 m Art Mural
- Ans Westra photography exhibition: ‘Handboek’
Saturday 23 April, 2022 – 11.00am to 3.00pm
Te Awahou Nieuwe Stroom / Riverside Cultural Park
92 Main Street, Foxton
For the Media: Dutch_Week_News